Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Guest Post: Hooked On Polish

Hello!  To entertain you in my absence I have for you today a guest post from Kat of Hooked On Polish.  Take a look at what she's put together for us!  :)

---

Hi there! For those of you that don't know me, I'm Kat and I will be your substitute blogger for the day since Emma is away at some godforsaken place where they don't allow nail polish.

I wanted to do something special for my post here and decided to finally try the fishtail mani! For some reason, I just can't get a fishtail braid to work on my hair so I'm happy I got it on my nails at least :D. To achieve this I used Lucy's tutorial here and changed the color scheme. I'm pretty excited about the result! It's definitely not as time consuming as I thought or that difficult. If I could do it, I'm sure anyone can too.

For this look I used Bettina Orchidea (blue-ish color) and Ortensia (green) and Revlon Silver Dollar.





The colors are mostly accurate, though Orchidea could be a touch bluer. Then, because I can't leave well enough alone, I added glitter to the solid nails. One coat of Jordana Cosmic:


I even did an upside down shot like Emma! Lol, my fingers are definitely not as graceful and elegant as hers but it'll do for a giggle.



If you're interested in doing this look, I have a couple of tips:
  • If you don't know which colors to use: it helps to use colors that came out in the same collection. They almost always go great together and complement each other well and then pick a metallic contrasting color.
  • Take your time but don't freak out if you don't start off fantastic, remember that the whole stripe you do is not going to show. For example, Silver Dollar would look patchy where I ended the 'swipe' but that was not visible at all so I left it as is.
  • Use opaque colors! This is important if you don't want to end up with a super thick nail. I did about 5 designs in different colors before I settled on this one. Experiment and have fun with it. 
That's about it from me! Do you prefer it with or without the glitter? Is this something you would like to try? Do you think it's absolutely barbaric that they don't allow nail polish where Emma is? Should she just use the O.P.I Ballet sheers since that's what they were made for? Am I asking too many questions?  
Have a good day! 


---

It looks great, Kat!  I saw that tutorial a while ago and put it on my "to-do" list, but haven't gotten around to it yet, thanks for the tips!  


I do agree that it is barbaric that they don't allow nail polish, but I'll definitely be stealth and wear my OPI NYCB colours!  Shhh!  ;)


Thanks again for doing this great post Kat! Make sure to go check out her blog Hooked On Polish! :)



5 comments:

  1. Love range of colors!!! I love how all the nails are slightly different!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so pretty! I love the colour combo! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous colour combination. Love it both with and without the glitter!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...